cpunks quiz

Jim Miller jim at bilbo.suite.com
Thu May 19 20:21:34 PDT 1994

It came from one of the documents that John Gilmore received as a result
of one of his FOIA requests.  Here the relevant section from John's
post...

From: gnu at toad.com (John Gilmore)
To: cypherpunks at toad.com
Subject: Revised Clipper FOIA results from Asst Secretary of Defense
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 93 02:21:27 -0800

We sent in an administrative appeal on June 17th, 1993, of various
things that were withheld in the response to our FOIA request.  The
Office of the Secretary of Defense responded on December 21, 1993 --
six months later.  (By law, agencies have twenty business days to
respond to an administrative appeal.  However, agencies regularly
violate all FOIA time limits because the courts have largely refused to
censure agencies for breaking the law, and have refused to force
agencies to follow the law.  I will point this out each time it happens,
largely to educate you -- the general public -- about how pervasive a
problem this is.)

We did an administrative appeal of the parts they withheld and other
documents they did not provide.  The result is that one more doc came
out (a cover sheet for a review copy of the President's actual
directive, which is still classified and has been referred back to the
National Security Council for processing), and the previously withheld
paragraph of the last two memos below is now only blacked out for a
sentence
or two.

The newly released text is highlighted with XXXX's and explanation.

	John Gilmore

[first few letters deteled -jm]

	[This page originally XXXXXXXX SECRET; now UNCLASSIFIED]

OFFICE OF THE ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF DEFENSE
WASHINGTON DC 20301-3040

COMMAND, CONTROL, COMMUNICATIONS AND
INTELLIGENCE

30 APR 1993  (stamped)

MEMORANDUM FOR THE ACTING ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF DEFENSE (C3I)

Subject:  PRD/NSC-27 Advanced Telecommunications and Encryption (U)

[first six paragraphs deleted -jm]

(U)	Despite these concerns, the President has directed that the
Attorney General request that manufacturers of communications
hardware use the trapdoor chip, and at least AT&T has been
reported willing to do so (having been suitably incentivised by
promises of Government purchases).  The Attorney General has
also been directed to create a system for escrow of key material.
The Secretary of Commerce has been directed to produce standards
based on the use of the trapdoor chip.

[remainder of letter deleted]

	(signed)
	Ray Pollari