AOL and LAM (LA meeting)

Timothy C. May tcmay at netcom.com
Thu May 19 12:04:27 PDT 1994

> And the current worst AOL (acronym overload):
>
> ATM Network -- Automatic Teller Machine, Asynchronous Transfer Mode
>
> Recently saw an employment ad for an "ATM Network Administrator".
> The whole job description was ambiguous ("you will oversee the
> operation of our ATM network...") until you got to the name of the
> company.
>
> -fnerd

I thought ATM was Adobe Type Manager? That's what it says on the
Windows and Macintosh boxes.

Yes, I forget to include ATM, the worst offender and the proximate
cause of our jokes about AOL. Thanks, Steve.

By the way, while ATM has _three_ major meanings, are there any ohter
such examples? Or even _four_ major meanings?

This will be my last message for a while, as I'll be on the road for
the next week. I'll be in LA and hope to attend the first Cypherpunks
meeting down there. (Speaking of which: I got a note on this from JPP,
but the details were vague, and no address was given. I will try to
log-in from LA....I hope someone posts some details Real Soon Now!
It's better to just bite the bullet and set a time, place, directions,
etc., than to keep the subject open for more "suggestions.")

--Tim May

tcmay at netcom.com       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero