Fixing pgp 2.6

Mike Ingle MIKEINGLE at delphi.com
Mon May 16 16:01:45 PDT 1994

>In order  to   fully protect  RSADSI's intellectual  property  rights in
>public-key technology, PGP 2.6 will be designed so  that the messages it
>creates after September 1,  1994 will be  unreadable by earlier versions
>of PGP that infringe patents licensed exclusively to Public Key Partners
>by MIT and Stanford University. PGP 2.6 will continue to be able to read
>messages generated by those earlier versions.

So it will produce readable messages before Sept 1, 1994? Then there must
be an if somewhere in the program to check the date. That should be fix-
able with a patch of a few bytes to the object code. The best way to
uncripple it would be to distribute a small .exe program which patches
your version of PGP in place. Also include the source for the .exe
so nobody thinks it does anything evil. We are being divided and conquered.
If PGP 2.6 succeeds, our goal of a worldwide strong crypto standard is dead.
This needs to be stopped.

--- Mike