PGP 2.6

Adam Shostack adam at bwh.harvard.edu
Mon May 16 13:51:47 PDT 1994

Richard Johnson:

| Adam has the right idea.  The question is, how do we make such a fix
| stick?  In order to beat the "canonical release" advantage of the
| broken 2.6, we'll need to spread the word widely (at least until a
| 2.6-compatible PGP is released and ported to the full range of current
| platforms by our outside compatriots).

	I think the way to do it is to 'de-cannonize' the MIT release
of the code.  That is to say, not make any mention of MIT as an FTp
site for it, but instead, make a contrib directory at the top level,
with patches & a readme.  Then tar that up, perhaps as PGP2.6.1, and
put it on soda, EFF, and other major FTP sites.  In the "where to get
PGP" docs, make no mention of the FTP site at MIT, or perhaps make
mention of the fact that it fails to handle releases outside of the US
properly, and that this problem is not being fixed for political
reasons.

Adam

Adam Shostack 				       adam at bwh.harvard.edu

Politics.  From the greek "poly," meaning many, and ticks, a small,
annoying bloodsucker.