pgp 2.6 stupidity

Perry E. Metzger perry at imsi.com
Mon May 16 12:10:37 PDT 1994

Personally, I find the PGP 2.6 announcement to be based on an
extremely flawed premise.

PGP 2.3a and earlier were not American software -- they were written
and produced overseas and were IMPORTED into the U.S.

They infringe on no patents or copyrights when used overseas.

Well, I have lots of correspondants overseas, using perfectly legal
software. They cannot legally use PGP 2.6 -- it isn't exportable.

Therefore, this idiocy will act to cut me off from my overseas
correspondants. I will not be able to use the current version of PGP
and still communicate with them. I will therefore be forced to use
older versions -- probably repeatedly patched versions of 2.5.

Perry