Penet Spoofing

Alan Barrett barrett at daisy.ee.und.ac.za
Sun May 15 00:34:41 PDT 1994

> I would like to add that I have evidently been a victim of "penet
> spoofing" as well, since I too received the following message from
> penet:

I have another theory:  If an anXXX at anon.penet.fi address subscribes
to the mailing list, then everybody who sends mail to the list will be
given an anon alias.  (Now to wait and see whether I get allocated an
anon id from anon.penet.fi in response to this message.)

I still say that double-blinding should not be the default action of
servers like that at anon.penet.fi.  Double blinding is sometimes
useful, but one should have to request it explicitly.

--apb (Alan Barrett)