NSA & State Fears ITAR Lawsuits

Timothy C. May tcmay at netcom.com
Wed May 11 23:31:32 PDT 1994

>    Someone who's had dealings with the NSA and State over these issues
>    saw some memos, but was not allowed to make copies of them, which
>    indicated that State's lawyer's were very concerned that an ITAR case
>    involving software *not* ever reach the courts, because they felt the
>    government's case was very weak and that a probable loss would be a
>    serious setback in other areas.
>
> Is there any chance that these memos would be subject to release under
> the FOIA?
>
> 						- Bill

I have no idea. I can provide the name of my source to someone who
wants to pursue it further (seriously pursue it, the way John Gilmore
and Lee Tien have pursued their FOIAs) and my source can say where he
was allowed to view the docs but not make copies. That might provide
clues.

--Tim May

tcmay at netcom.com       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero