Gelernter Op-Ed Piece

Duncan Frissell frissell at panix.com
Sun May 8 19:51:33 PDT 1994

I've received no cypherpunks mail for 24 hours so this may be old news
but...

David Gelernter, author of Linda and recent victim of the UnaBomber,
writes in support of the DTI and Clipper.  "Wiretaps for a Wireless Age"
is on the Op-Ed page of the Sunday New York Times.

I will be writing a Letter to the Editor and others should as well.  Will
someone who has access pick this up and post it.  It's very important.

It has some factual flaws:

"What kind of half-wit criminal would...return a rental van that played a
starring role in a big-budget terrorist spectacular?"

But it represents as strong a statement of their position as Safire's
column was of ours.

Brilliant bit:

"Privacy buffs are often big fans of gun control and the Endangered
Species Act; some versions of gun control restrict the objects you may
keep in your own home, and the species act has been interpreted in a way
that drastically restricts the ways citizens may use their land."

Of course many of us are not fans of gun control or the Endangered Species
Act.

--- WinQwk 2.0b#1165