Keyserver service outRAGE

Black Unicorn unicorn at access.digex.net
Thu May 5 15:00:28 PDT 1994

Mr. Toal says:

->
Uni, hush now, shut up, and listen.  You've entirely missed the point here.
This is a major tactical strike for pgp.  We finally have an entirely
legal pgp, thanks to some excellent net.politics from the guys at MIT.

The restriction on what new keys they accept was part of the deal, but
stop and think what it really means - is it going to affect *anybody*?
And what's to stop you fetching 2.5 and loading/re-dumping your old
key from that version?
<-

No, you've entirely missed the point here.

If the MIT brass is so adept at politics why has no one realized that
this change is not going to affect *anybody*.

Clearly the keys are either indistinguishable from version to version
other than the plaintext version number, or this policy will actually
accomplish something.

Why would those involved give up "so much" (At least they have been
fighting so hard for it) for what amounts to NOTHING?

If you're not suspicious....

In any case, I hope your right.  I hope PGP2.5 is a dream come true.
Problems remain.

Mac users are out in the cold.
In the final analysis the MIT server is trying to compell behavior for
no apparent reasons.

The fact that this was a requirement for some "DEAL" really makes me
wonder who in the administration was at the negotiating table and
I really hope they are on the other side of the table in the next
negotiation I have to do.

OR

They are indeed as sly as you say, and it is YOU who does not understand
the true depth of the politics.

I hope the former, I wonder about the latter.