The ITARs [support your CRYPT-IN rights!]

Arthur Abraham a2 at ah.com
Wed May 4 12:06:36 PDT 1994

> Jim Miller says:
> > Section #120.9 of the ITAR defines "Defense Service" as:
> >
> >   (1) The furnishing of assistance (including training) to foreign
> > persons, whether in the United States or abroad in the design,
> > development, engineering, manufacture, production, assembly, testing,
> > repair, maintenance, modification, operation, demilitarization,
> > destruction, processing, or use of defense articles; or
> >   (2) The furnishing to foreign persons of any technical data
> > controlled under this subchapter (see #120.10), whether in the United
> > States or abroad.

 Perry E. Metzger responds:

> This is sick. According to this, I cannot teach foreigners about
> cryptography in the U.S. -- even about the open literature. This is a
> grotesque denial of my first amendment rights.
>
> I wonder if I should hold an open enrollment cryptography class for
> the sake of civil disobediance.

This is exactly the sort of issue the Cypherpunks were formed to address.

CALL TO ACTION:

I suggest that those of us who are able to do so immediately lay plans to offer
such courses.  These courses should only contain open information, and they
be specifically advertised to foriegn nationals living in the US.

To the extent possible we should coordinate these courses, perhaps to content,
certainly to date and notification of the interested authorities.  The
should happen in every corner of the land.

The time for the CRYPT-INs has come!

[No one who supports with the government's right to suppress publically
available information should participate.]

-a2