TLAs, etc.

Dave Otto (the Wizard of TOTOSoft) dave at marvin.jta.edd.ca.gov
Wed May 4 09:52:13 PDT 1994

> Jim Miller says:
> >
> > My hypothesis:  The TLAs could shut down the cypherpunks mailing list
> > (as it now exists) by dragging all the U.S. list members into court.
> > The TLAs would probably lose the case, but they would still do a lot
> > of damage to the lives of the U.S. list members.
>
> Carl continues with:
> Actually, we might try inviting such prosecution -- e.g., with each of us
> posting source code for some algorithm to the list.  This is so clearly
> publication (ala newsletters on paper) that the case would never hold but
> it wouldn't hurt to have a court rule.

Perhaps by being more charitable to non-hardcore crypto discussions (Perry),
the list could attract more members.  Large groups are much more difficult
to prosecute (persecute) than small ones (yes I know, it's not how big it
is, it's how you use it).  Personally, I find the social dynamics on this
list *HIGHLY* entertaining and quite informative.

dave