PC-Expo

Arsen Ray Arachelian rarachel at prism.poly.edu
Tue May 3 19:43:23 PDT 1994

> If it looks like you're really going to do this, I'll send you some $ or
> some disks if you promise to use them for this project.

I've had enough folks volunteer for this in NYC that there's no way I'd
back out.  If you want to send me something I'd rather you send me disks
because I don't have any time to buy them.  Just as many 3.5" HD's as you
can... I'll accept money if you'd rather do it that way, but I want to make
sure it gets used up 100% for the disks.  (I'll be taking a $20 loss in disks
and about $100 in taking the day off, if my boss decides not to pay me
for the day off...)

> Sandy Sanfort (I think) said a few weeks ago that he's writing an article
> for Soldier of Fortune about PGP and privacy; perhaps he'd give you
> permission to use that.

That would be most cool.  Sandy, is you reading this?

> I wrote up a short (~ 2 pages, I think) article a few months ago for
> someone who wanted to hand out something printed; I'll poke around and
> see if I can dig it up. It wasn't anything special, or anything that anyone
> else who's been on the list > 3 months couldn't have written.

Please, anything you can scrounge together or revise.  Also I'd reccomend that
you quote from current magazine articles and mention them.  This way they can
seem more offical media-looking...

> You might see if there are pieces you could steal from the PGP docs; they
> did a fair job of explaining lots of the issues, as I remember it.

I won't include any extra docs or source code.  No room on one disk :-(

> Like someone on the list suggested, you might think about handing out
> Mac disks, too - I'm not familiar enough with PC Expo to know if they
> mean "IBM PC" when they say "PC". If that's the case, there may not
> be much demand for Mac stuff. :)

I may do this if I have the time.  I have a Mac, but not much time on my
hands anymore... Maybe I'll bring a few Mac disks just incase....

> With respect to copyright, remember that everything* created is born
> copyrighted; net-news postings, E-mail, newspaper articles, and everything
> else. An author must take affirmative steps to make it public domain.
> You're probably safest if you stick to articles explicitly written
> for this project, or ones where you have permission to reprint. I
> wouldn't be surprised if sympathetic folks/organizations (Wired, John
> Perry Barlow, Whole Earth Review) will grant permission if you ask.
>
> (* where "everything" == original works of authorship fixed in a
> tangible medium of expression)

The Wired JackBoots article is freely distributable, so that will go on there. :-)