Useful Ways to Fight Crime

PMARKS at VAX1.UMKC.EDU PMARKS at VAX1.UMKC.EDU
Mon May 2 14:38:49 PDT 1994

This gave me another warped idea:

>    Without e-mail encryption, widespread surveillance would be easier.  In
> theory, CIA, FBI and police computers could tap telephone cables and look
> for key words such as "missile" or "bomb" to find people who needed closer
> watching.  Mr. Zimmermann says: "This is analogous to drift-net fishing."

Why don't we just outlaw curtains and window blinds?  That way, law
enforcement officials could just drive down the street looking into
windows!  It would make it *much* easier for them to tell if crime was
being committed.  Of course, some people might not like the loss of
privacy but the civil libertarians are making too much of this anyway.
Besides, law abiding citizens should have nothing to hide, right?  So
why should they object?

Oh, e-mail is differnt altogether?  So.  When did you start mailing all
your letters in clear envelopes?