Expectation of Privacy

Christian D. Odhner cdodhner at indirect.com
Sun May 1 20:38:03 PDT 1994

I remember a while back (on this list I think) there was some discussion
of a case in which it was ruled that the cops in some instance didn't
need a warrent to intercept (or weren't in violation of ECPA?) a cordless
phone phone call because the user didn't have the same "expectation of
privacy" as they would with a normal phone... it seems to me the end
judgement was that if the equipment you're using is easy enough to listen
in on, then you can't complain if they do so. Fast-forward a few years to
when the Digital Telephony Act and clippper chips have been mass
deployed... does someone talking on a clipper phone over a DTA-compliant
network have enough of an 'expectation of privacy' to require a warrent
for intercepts?

Happy Hunting, -Chris.

Christian Douglas Odhner     | "The NSA can have my secret key when they pry
cdodhner at indirect.com	     | it from my cold, dead, hands... But they shall
pgp 2.3 public key by finger | NEVER have the password it's encrypted with!"
cypherpunks         WOw            dCD           Traskcom          Team Stupid
  Key fingerprint =  58 62 A2 84 FD 4F 56 38  82 69 6F 08 E4 F1 79 11