Constitution and Contract [Was: CIA & FBI]

Paul Schauble pls at crl.com
Sun May 1 13:44:04 PDT 1994

On Sun, 1 May 1994, Black Unicorn wrote:

> I've often felt that the solution to this problem is that citizenship
> should not be given by birth. Everyone, whether born in the US or abroad,
> should have to go through roughly the present process to be granted
> citizenship. I'm explicitly including required study of US history and
> taking an oath to support the Constitution.
>
>     ++PLS
> <-
>
> So what protections does a minor have before he or she passes the "test"?

Same as minors who are resident aliens have now. That's quite a lot.

> Will a passport be issued to a non-citizen?

No. They would be treated as minors and could travel abroad only when
accompanied by a citizen who is taking responsibility for them. Much like
minors at present.

Yes, it's inconvenient for these new non-citizens. It's supposed to be. I
agree with Heinlein that citizenship should be earned.

    ++PLS