MAIL: remailer list

Karl Lui Barrus klbarrus at owlnet.rice.edu
Sun May 1 11:04:35 PDT 1994

Changes:

1) two new remailers!  anon at desert.hacktic.com and remailer at jpunix.com

I put the public keys up at the gopher site (chaos.bsu.edu) and once
the semester is over I will get organized and upload to
soda.berkeley.edu.

2) Matt Ghio's update list of email-to-usenet gateways, gained from
trolling misc.test.  Thanks!

Cypherpunk anonymous remailers, 5/1/94

Q1: What are the anonymous remailers?

 1: nowhere at bsu-cs.bsu.edu
 2: remailer at chaos.bsu.edu
 3: rperkins at nyx.cs.du.edu
 4: remailer at soda.berkeley.edu
 5: hal at alumni.caltech.edu
 6: ebrandt at jarthur.claremont.edu
 7: remailer at utter.dis.org
 8: anon at desert.hacktic.nl
 9: remailer at jpunix.com
10: remailer at rebma.mn.org
11: catalyst at netcom.com
12: hfinney at shell.portal.com
13: remail at extropia.wimsey.com

NOTES:

1-3		no encryption of remailing requests
4-11		support encrypted remailing requests
11		special - header and message must be encrypted together
7,10,13		introduce larger than average delay (not direct connect)
1,2,7,10,13  	running on privately owned machines
4,8,9		features USENET posting
11		features anonymous pools
8,13		located outside of the U.S.

     Mail sent to pool0 at extropia.wimsey.com will be sent to all
     subscribers of the anonymous pool.

  2. Matt Ghio's pseudo-account remailer.

     Send mail to mg5n+getid at andrew.cmu.edu

     You will receive an encrypted mail address of the form
       mg5n+eaxxxxx at andrew.cmu.edu

     Mail sent to this address will be forwarded to you.

     Mail sent to mg5n+remailers at andrew.cmu.edu will return a list of
     remailers to you.

     Mail sent to
     mg5n+anz3ajg8o1yxicqzt6v6qgpg3tkhddpqw3jl at andrew.cmu.edu
     will be forwarded on to cypherpunks at toad.com

  3. Jay Prime Positive's mail pool

     Send mail to jpp=0x123456 at markv.com, and the mail will be
     encrypted with the key matching 0x123456, and sent to alt.test
     with a subject line of "Ignore 0x123456"

     To add a key, send to jpp=poolnew at markv.com.  The body of the
     message should contain the public key in pgp format.  If there is
     a key clash, a message with the subject "Ignore jpp=poolnew key
     already in use"

  4. Finger remailer at soda.berkeley.edu for instructions and a ping report.

  5. Usenet posting:

     anon at desert.hacktic.nl and remailer at jpunix.com allow posting to
     usenet with the following syntax:

     Request-Remailing-To: news.group

     remailer at soda.berkeley.edu uses the following syntax:

     Post-To: news.group OR Anon-Post-To: news.group

Q3: What help is available?

1. Look in ftp://soda.berkeley.edu/pub/cypherpunks/remailer
   (soda.berkeley.edu = 128.32.149.19)

chain.zip             - program that helps with using remailers
dosbat.zip            - MSDOS batch files that help with using remailers
hal's.instructions.gz - in depth instruction on how to use
hal's.remailer.gz     - remailer code
pubkeys.tar.gz        - public keys of remailers which support encryption
pubkeys.zip           - MSDOS zip file of public keys
scripts.tar.gz        - scripts that help with using remailers

2. Or try to gopher to chaos.bsu.edu and look in
   "Anonymous Mail"/Remailer Instructions"

3. Cypherpunks WWW home page is
   ftp://soda.berkeley.edu/pub/cypherpunks/Home.html

Q4.  Email-to-Usenet gateways?

  1: group-name at cs.utexas.edu
  2: group.name.usenet at decwrl.dec.com
  3: group.name at news.demon.co.uk
  4: group.name at news.cs.indiana.edu
  5: group-name at pws.bull.com
  6: group-name at ucbvax.berkeley.edu
  7: group.name at undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca
  8: group.name at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
  9: group.name at ccs.uwo.ca
 10: group.name at julian.uwo.ca
 11: group.name at paris.ics.uci.edu
 12: group.name at cs.dal.ca

NOTES:

*  This does not include ones that work for single groups, like twwells.com.
*  Remember to include a Subject: with your post, may cause failures
   if missing
#6 blocks from non-berkeley sites (so use the berkeley remailers :-)

This is the remailer.data file I use with pingmail, a script for
pinging anonymous remailers:

01:n:nowhere at bsu-cs.bsu.edu
02:n:remailer at chaos.bsu.edu
03:n:rperkins at nyx.cs.du.edu
04:n:remailer at soda.berkeley.edu
05:y:hal at alumni.caltech.edu
06:y:ebrandt at jarthur.claremont.edu
07:y:remailer at utter.dis.org
08:y:anon at desert.hacktic.nl
09:y:remailer at jpunix.com
10:y:remailer at rebma.mn.org
11:y:catalyst at netcom.com
12:y:hfinney at shell.portal.com
13:s:remail at extropia.wimsey.com

Karl L. Barrus: klbarrus at owlnet.rice.edu
keyID: 5AD633 hash: D1 59 9D 48 72 E9 19 D5  3D F3 93 7E 81 B5 CC 32

"One man's mnemonic is another man's cryptography"
  - my compilers prof discussing file naming in public directories