crypto software/papers/docs CD -- is there any interest?

Timothy C. May tcmay at netcom.com
Thu Mar 31 10:52:19 PST 1994

Ed Carp writes:

> > I guess I concentrated on the "information/papers" part of your
> > proposal, as that's the only stuff that could really begin to need a
> > CD-ROM. (I think Bruce Schneier's source code diskettes fill less than
> > 3 MB, and contain documented, tested code.)
>
> Where can Bruce's code be found?  I looked on the Dr. Dobbs FTP site, but
> it was nowhere to be found... :(

The back of his book contains ordering instructions. Diskettes are
ordered direct from his company, Counterpane Systems. $30 for the
2-disk set, $90 for a 2-year subscription.

There is no ftp site, for reasons I can only speculate on. Some wild
guesses:

1. Schneier wanted to make money on the diskettes. He mentioned
wanting to distribute the diskettes with the book, for a higher price,
but was not able to. (Export issues feared.)

2. An ftp site would allow easy access to anyone in the world, even
with the nonsensical "Yes, I am a U.S. citizen" screens. Perhaps the
NSA folks urged him not to go this route.

(Yes, the diskettes can similarly be ordered. Only U.S. and Canadia
delivery sites are accepted. Easy to bypass. Mail forwarding services
routinely do this.)

Inasmuch as his code has been vetted by bieng discussed in his very
popular book, "competitors" who offer their own collections, a la Mr.
Harvey, may find it a tough sell.

And, as I said in an earlier message, a lot of releases and waivers
will have to be gotten.

--Tim May

tcmay at netcom.com       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero