crypto software/papers/docs CD -- is there any interest?

GERSTEIN at SCSUD.CTSTATEU.EDU GERSTEIN at SCSUD.CTSTATEU.EDU
Thu Mar 31 07:41:31 PST 1994

Tim May writes:
>Mark Henderson writes:
>
>> Forgive the somewhat commercial nature of this message, but I think
>> it is well within the lines of the cypherpunks mission of getting
>> code out to people.
>>
>> I'm considering the possibility of producing a CD (for distribution
>> in North America only) of crypto source code, information/papers and
>> binaries for common platforms.
>>...[BUNCH OF STUFF DELETED]......
>
>You'll have to be real careful here, as charging money means
>copyrights have to be more scrupulously watched than when sites just
>"informally" contain copyrighted material. (I'm not arguing for these
>laws, just noting them.)
...[ANOTHER BUNCH OF STUFF DELETED]......
>(There are lots of issues here, which get debated over and over again
>in various forums. All I'm saying is that charging $50 for a
>compilation of articles, FAQs, scanned items, etc. is likely to
>trigger a lot of things. Just a heads up.)

...[STILL MORE DELETED]......
>--Tim May
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

	Wouldn't doing something like this be like distributing shareware on a
CD-Rom? Most of the Rom's I've seen have programs and the like, but a few have
had source code, papers, hypercard stacks, etc. that were all copyrighted but
still pushed out on the Rom.

	I think the only problem would be if you were charging more money than
a "reasonable duplication fee". Most people will agree that this would be the
cost of the media and maybe a little something for your time.

	Just another of my 0.02¢...

		Adam Gerstein

"After this, nothing will shock me."
"In a Time/CNN poll of 1,000 Americans conducted last week by Yankelovich
Partners, two-thirds said it was more important to protect the privacy of phone
calls than to preserve the ability of police to conduct wiretaps.
When informed about the Clipper Chip, 80% said they opposed it."
- Philip Elmer-Dewitt, "Who Should Keep the Keys", TIME, Mar. 4, 1994
To sign on to the letter, send a message to:
	Clipper.petition at cpsr.org

with the message "I oppose Clipper" (no quotes). You will receive a return
message confirming your vote.