Crypto and new computing strategies

Mike McNally m5 at vail.tivoli.com
Wed Mar 30 11:31:32 PST 1994

Jim choate writes:
 > Also there is the potential to use neural networks at these levels
 > (which are not necessarily reducable to Turing models, the premise
 > has never been proven)

Uhh, gee; given that I've seen neural networks implemented on
conventional computer systems, and as far as I know those were
perfectly functional (if slow) neural networks, I think that pretty
much proves it (as if it needed to be).

I'd say that the burden of proof is to demonstrate that there are
algorithms implementable on a neural network which are unimplementable
on a Turing machine.  That'd be a pretty significant breakthrough.

 > The bottom line is that this whole area is a unknown and if we persist in
 > carrying unproven assumptions from the macro-world over into the QM
 > model we WILL be in for a nasty surprise.

Complexity theory doesn't have anything to do with any world, macro-
or micro- or mega- or whatever.  It's mathematics.

--
| GOOD TIME FOR MOVIE - GOING ||| Mike McNally <m5 at tivoli.com>       |
| TAKE TWA TO CAIRO.          ||| Tivoli Systems, Austin, TX:        |