Parker on Clipper

Phil Karn karn at qualcomm.com
Wed Mar 23 12:50:40 PST 1994

>You write almost as if you are surprised that he in particular would
>express these positions.  I was unaware of his existence before reading
>this Scientific American piece, so I had no preconceived notions.  Why
>were you surprised?

Exactly. Parker has been in the computer security field for a long
time, and he is well known for expressing views that can be best
described as ultra-conservative and extremely authoritarian. These
comments of his are about as surprising as those of George Bush
calling for the reversal of Roe v Wade.

But so what? The man is entitled to his opinions. Rather than jump on
him for expressing them, perhaps you should disseminate them as widely
as possible. I can't think of a much better way to rally the
opposition to Clipper.

Remember that the power to counter things like Clipper is already in
your hands. Don't let people like Parker just get you mad. Get even -
write code!

Phil