FWD: RIPEM/SIG - Worldwide Digital Signature Software

Christopher Allen consensus at netcom.com
Tue Mar 22 22:17:54 PST 1994

At  9:23 PM 3/21/94 -0800, Christopher Allen wrote:
>At 12:21 AM 3/19/94 -0700, mdbomber at w6yx.stanford.edu wrote:
> >I tried turning RIPEM Mac loose on this message and it complains about a
> >garbled Originator Certificate, then complains that it does not appear
> >to be a PEM/RIPEM message.
> >
> >Did anyone else get this to work?
>
>I've tested this further - like you I can't seem to verify the press
>release using RIPEM Mac. However, I did find someone with the RIPEM 1.2
>software installed and it does verify with that software.
>
>I've sent a copy to Ray Lau, the author of RIPEM Mac, as I know that he is
>working on incorporating the features of RIPEM 1.2 in the next version of
>RIPEM Mac.

I did send a report to Ray Lau, the author of RIPEM Mac. This is his response:

At 11:13 PM 3/22/94 -0500, raylau at MIT.EDU wrote:
>I've figured out the problem.
>
>Jim did indeed change his keypair for RIPEM 1.2 so the forged msg. is
>because the keypair in the pubkeys file on rpub.cl.msu.edu is outdated.
>
>Also, since RIPEM 1.2 now supports certificates, but because it is not
>fully PEM compliant, it uses a certificate in a RIPEM 2001 (not PEM 4)
>msg. proc-type.  I have not had the chance to update RIPEM Mac to
>recognize certificates within the 2001 proc type yet.
>
>So, that is the gist of it.
>
> -Ray

..Christopher Allen                  Consensus Development Corporation..
..<consensus at netcom.com>                         4104-24th Street #419..
..                                        San Francisco, CA 94114-3615..
..                                        o415/647-6383  f415/647-6384..
..Mosaic/World-Wide-Web Front Door:                                   ..
..ftp://netcom7.netcom.com/pub/consensus/www/ConsensusFrontDoor.html  ..