Crypto for Lawyers and Linguists

Timothy C. May tcmay at netcom.com
Tue Mar 22 11:08:12 PST 1994

This letter that John Gilmore has forwarded to us provides a vignette
into why not just seditious plotters and other tentacles need crypto:

> From: "Brock N. Meeks" <brock at well.sf.ca.us>
> Subject: This guy needs help
> There's an attorney in Dallas that needs help:  Your help.
> Crypto help.
> Albert's client is an international organization of linguists.
> They specialize in taking unwritten languages and translating
> them to written words.  They are a clean, non-political group and
> they want to stay that way.  Trouble is, Albert told me, there
> are governments, both U.S. and foreign, that want to tap this
> organization's files to access the "raw intelligence" that their
> field personnel often send in.
>
> This intelligence is nothing more than the certain problems they
> might be having with the in-country governments.  But they don't
> want prying eyes to be poking into their files, using whatever
> they send in against other groups.
>
> Similarly, they don't want their translation notes, files, used
> by intelligence agencies against the people they are working with
> for translation.

Wanna bet that such a group forced to use "Clipper," "Capstone,"
"Tessera," and other approved crypto tools would have their
communciations opened and read by various "interested" agencies?

* attorney-client privilege in an era of networked offices will be
broken unless strong crypto is available (ditto for
psychiatrist-patient contacts, sensitive medical records, etc.)

* groups that have contacts outside the U.S. (as in the case Brock
Meeks reports on) have always evoked the interest of the CIA and other
agencies...without strong crypto, their communcations will be even
more easily accessible if Digital Telephony II passes.

Most of you understand these points, but it bears repeating that
individuals and groups from many political points of view will be
affected by the "transparent society" of Clipper, Capstone, Tessera,
and Digital Telephony.

--Tim May

tcmay at netcom.com       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero