Note from EDUPAGE

Alan (Miburi-san) Wexelblat wex at media.mit.edu
Mon Mar 21 09:05:20 PST 1994

CALL FORWARD FOR CRIME
Criminals have discovered that by forwarding their calls, they can evade
wiretaps placed on their home lines. "Criminals can go to any phone, call
the `intelligent network' and route calls anywhere," says an FBI special
agent. The FBI estimates that 25% of all wiretaps "are adversely affected"
by this telephone hide-and-seek. (Wall Street Journal 3/18/94 A5A)

[Wex notes: this seems relevant to the ongoing fight over the FBI wiretap
proposal; I wonder if they're laying the public groundwork for supporing
their proposal to get call-setup information.  I also wonder if it would do
them a damn bit of good.  If I call a number which I know has previously
been forwarded to a different number, is the eventual target # part of the
call-setup info?]