Nature of RSA's patent

Joel T Mueller jmueller at gac.edu
Mon Mar 14 15:18:33 PST 1994

> I've got a guy who's telling me that PGP-encrypted communications sent
> into the U.S.A. from abroad can be stopped at the border as infringing
> "products," pursuant to this statute.

I know you are looking for legal advice, but the idea of some stiff trying
to stop a communication at the "border" just seemed rather ludicrous to
me.  Somehow I don't think he'll have much luck imposing national
boundaries on cyberspace, which has no borders, save those of private,
individual systems.  Once something is on the net, they'd do better of
thinking of it as instantly being everywhere, rather than beating their
heads against the wall with old, hidebound ideas of restricting the flow
of information.

--
     Joel Mueller - <Insert your favorite witty quote here; I'm tired.>
  GAT/O -d+(---) -p+ c++@ l+ u++ e m+ s+/- n- h-- f+@ g+(-) w+ t(--) ry?