spyproofing your house/work building

Arsen Ray Arachelian rarachel at prism.poly.edu
Mon Mar 14 08:30:50 PST 1994

> A Faraday Cage is made from mesh not solid material. You would need to make
> shure it is well grounded and of small dimension mesh. It will protext
> against low power monitoring.

Is the stuff they make fences out of okay for this?  My excuse for putting
this up (if I have to make up an excuse) is that I'm going to have lots of
PC's in the room and I don't want the FCC complaining...

> On the topic of lasers, you might also get a IR viewer and search for a
> laser transmission FROM your house to another site. This would be a very
> good method of listening in w/ little chance of discovery. Long range
> also.

Can camcorders be used to detect this?  A friend of mine had this old b&w
surveilence camera that could pick up an IR beam off a remote.  Are the lasers
in the same range or do I need IR gear?

> Also watch for microwave traps, similar to the Russian trick at the UN
> or wherever in the 60's. Any metallic container can be resonated and used
> to listen to the room noise.

How can I detect this?  Will the usual microwave oven leak detectors help?
I don't want to confuse high frequency stuff (900Mhz or above) as a reason
to be paranoid. :-)