Voice encryption

peace at BIX.com peace at BIX.com
Sat Mar 12 21:04:43 PST 1994

Say - why is it cypherpunks instead of cipherpunks?  - its hard to remember!

Unicorn> I would like someone with enough technical background to design
and build a prototype IDEA/DES/RSA device suitable for voice
encryption using modular phone jacks and plugs.

Well now, I do that for a living.  It isn't exactly cheap.  The phone
jack would probably be to a high speed modem, 14,400 or higher.  The
other side would be to a E&M (4 wire) jack attached to a handset.
The rest is just an AtoD and DtoA converter and amps, probably with
a compander, try intel 29xx chips.  This gives a 64kbps full duplex
data stream that needs compressed to the modem speed, probably with
LPC - linear predictive coding.  The  DES or IDEA  would need to
operate at modem speeds - full duplex.  How much you want to pay?

Peace