Heavy remailer traffic source?

Hal hfinney at shell.portal.com
Sat Mar 12 08:46:28 PST 1994

For the last day or two I have been getting several dozen messages
(67 today, a similar number yesterday) similar to the following:

> From remail at infinity.hip.berkeley.edu  Sat Mar 12 00:10:07 1994
> Date: Sat, 12 Mar 94 00:05 PST
> To: hfinney at shell.portal.com
> From: nobody at infinity.hip.berkeley.edu
> Remailed-By: Remailer <remail at infinity.hip.berkeley.edu>
> Anon-To: remailer at entropy.linet.org
> Anon-To: remailer at entropy.linet.org
> Anon-To: hfinney at shell.portal.com
> Anon-To: nowhere at bsu-cs.bsu.edu
> Anon-To: ebrandt at jarthur.claremont.edu
> Anon-To: nowhere at bsu-cs.bsu.edu
> Anon-To: ebrandt at jarthur.claremont.edu
> Anon-To: remailer at entropy.linet.org
> Anon-To: remailer at utter.dis.org
> Anon-To: remailer at rebma.mn.org
> Anon-To: hfinney at shell.portal.com
> Anon-To: hfinney at shell.portal.com
> Anon-To: remailer at utter.dis.org
> Anon-To: remail at infinity.hip.berkeley.edu
>
> ##
> Do-Inject: Yes
>
> -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
> Version: 2.3a
>
> rQeAYgVzdGRpbgAAAADCSE/UHZnlLco5W9yVWyw5M8XSD7rLnZFAd9IlwX5W2zkM
> [...]
> MEBR2/p7L6XuKfGQG38t4K4o7J8YbWNPDQ8qP4YeMBAg3Tvzl5tyTWN9/NN7NfCJ
> fR3k
> =ypSB
> -----END PGP MESSAGE-----

The "PGP" message appears to be just an ascii-armoring of random bytes.

Is this an attempt by someone to provide the "masking" remailer traffic
we have been discussing for some time?  This is OK, but I think the volume
is too high.

What is the Do-Inject: header intended to accomplish?

The message apparently is intended to provide multiple remailing addresses per
message.  However, my remailer only does one remail address per message.

Also, my remailer does not accept "Anon-To" but only "Request-Remailing-To".
So all these messages are ending up in my mail box.

Anyone want to explain these?

Hal