Mac SecureDrive status report...

Arsen Ray Arachelian rarachel at edison.poly.edu
Thu Mar 10 13:55:49 PST 1994

Okay, so far I have all the information I need.  The secure drive
for the Mac will require the user to have a fairly optimized drive
to start off with.  Why?  Because I've wasted way too much time
trying to figure out how to work with the damn extents...

I don't have any driver code written yet.  The reason for this is
that I'm not ready to risk loosing my hard drive until I have two
full backups. :-)

This is a two part project as you know.  The 1st project is a freeware
encryption only driver...  The 2nd part is an encryption/compression
driver.  I've written most of the routines for the 2nd project to do
the free/full space management and caches.  Once I write the freeware
program I will have a working driver (I hope) and will be able to
implement the compressing driver.

I do plan to make some money off of this and give Stacker, X2 and E-disk
a bit of competition, so I figure somewhere around the $30-$50 range for
the compressing/encrypting driver...

I'm going to make the compressing driver have a possibly self-optimizing
when idle routine, but I may decide to drop this if it takes too long...

Let me know if you have any suggestions/etc.

NOTE: DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!!! Send your replies to
rarachel at photon.poly.edu.  The reason for this is that there's
some trouble with Photon right now, and I am using another
machine to get my mail :-I  Hopefully this will be fixed soon...