low-overhead encrypted telnet

jpp at markv.com jpp at markv.com
Wed Mar 2 13:08:27 PST 1994

The IP security program I have been working on (slowly) is a packet
redirector and cryptdec.  You ask it to encrypt packets comming in on
one socket, and pass them out to another socket (also to decrypt those
comming in on the second socket and pass them out the first socket).
Thus you can run one of these on the X server, and one on the X
client, and all the X trafic becomes encrypted over the net.  You can
telnet to the local redirector, to the forign redirector, and then to
the standard telnet port.  Or FTP, or whatever.

I am still learning about net software, and this vision may not be
easly implemented, or sockets may be the wrong level of interface to
the net, I dunno.  But I do know that my unix (SCO) and my X server
(WINDOWS) both support this stratagy.

j'