Laziness?

Pat Farrell pfarrell at netcom.com
Wed Mar 2 12:51:24 PST 1994

In message Wed, 2 Mar 1994 10:38:55 -0800 (PST),
  tcmay at netcom.com (Timothy C. May)  writes:
> I connect to the Net from my home Mac IIci or PowerBook 170 over a
> 14.4 modem line to Netcom, an Internet service provider many of you
> are familiar with. Once on Netcome, I have access to a wide range of
> standard UNIX tools. However, I do NOT run PGP on these machines!
>
> Rather, I run MacPGP (or PGP on my DOS machines, in emergencies, or
> even "MailSafe" in rare circumstances) on my *home* machine, after first
> downloading the mail with "Eudora 2.0," a nice off-line mail reader.
> It still takes several steps, as most of you can imagine.

I use a similar system to Tim's, except that I use NUpop on a "PC" to
download 150+ messages a day from cypherpunks and a bunch of other lists.

We have to move the tools to the user's controlled, secure environment.
For some that may be Unix, but for close to 98% of the 'net community,
a controlled computer is a Mac or PC.  At GMU, a few supported grad students
have personal Suns or other workstations, maybe 50 students out of 22,000.
But nearly all of the students in the techy schools have at least a PC or
mac that is under their personal control. Multi-user Unix solutions
don't cut it.

More importantly, if all 700+ of us on this list used encrpytion for
_every message every day_ it would be only an insignificant portion of the
net volume. We have to get encryption out to the masses.

Pat

Pat Farrell      Grad Student                 pfarrell at gmu.edu
Department of Computer Science    George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
Public key availble via finger          #include <standard.disclaimer>