Insecurity of public key crypto #1 (reply to Mandl)

Perry E. Metzger pmetzger at lehman.com
Wed Mar 2 04:15:29 PST 1994

Eric Johnson says:
> : Please don't do that.  I don't want to go through hoops to read this
> : mailing list.  It's already cumbersome as is.  Adding PGP in the soup
> : would make things very nasty.  I'd rather not use PGP except for private
> : messages.
>
> That was exactly the point Eric Hughes was making; it is not a good
> strategy to save encryption for only private communications.
>
> Besides, procmail (or similar) should be able to handle piping
> incoming cypherpunks traffic through the decryptor, so the hoop
> would be transparent anyway.  No muss, no fuss.

So, will procmail run for someone getting this mailing list via CCMail
under DOS? There are people doing that, you know.

Its one thing to write tools so people can encrypt their routine
PRIVATE mail. Its another thing to encrypt mailing lists read by
hundreds of people. The former can be adjusted on a case by case basis
-- the latter cannot.

Perry