low-overhead encrypted telnet

Rolf Michelsen Rolf.Michelsen at delab.sintef.no
Tue Mar 1 23:38:25 PST 1994

On Tue, 1 Mar 1994, Jef Poskanzer wrote:

> I've been talking about entrypted telnet with Craig Leres lately, and
> he came up with an interesting idea.  The background is, sysadmins want
> encrypted telnet so that passwords don't fly around in the clear, but
> at the same time, they don't want to spend too many extra CPU cycles.
> I figured at least some sysadmins would resist installing an
> encryption-capable telnetd because of this concern about overhead.

[Some text deleted]

Have you seen the proposals for an encryption option for TELNET?  There
are at least two proposals.  The first is by David Borman dated April
1990 and the second by Lawrence Brown and Gilje Jaatun dated December
1991.  Borman's proposal focuses on the possibility of encryption of
passwords only.  Unfortunately I don't have a pointer to an electronic
copy of these proposals -- perhaps someone else on this list has?

I am currently working on a project which requires encrypted TELNET.  We
will be encrypting *all* transmitted data to protect sensitive
information -- not just passwords.  Does anybody know the current status
of standardization of an encryption option for TELNET?

-- Rolf

Rolf Michelsen         Phone:  +47 73 59 87 33
SINTEF DELAB           Email:  rolf.michelsen at delab.sintef.no
7034 Trondheim         Office: C339
Norway