No Subject

nobody at nowhere nobody at nowhere
Tue Mar 1 19:41:16 PST 1994

On Mon, 28 Feb 94 11:48:59 -0800, "Eric Hughes" <hughes at ah.com> wrote:
> John's request will be denied, no doubt, and will go to court.  Should
> he prevail in court, the executive branch is bound by that decision.
> A key custody database which was public would make the system insecure
> and unusable.  The executive branch could not change this.  Only the
> legislature could.

Do not expect a treatment according to the law by the courts.
It has been a long time since courts have considered themselves
bound by the text of the laws or the constitution. Instead, John
should instruct his lawyers to create delays. A Lawyer that
can not create a delay is worthless. In the beginning, until
the Government figures out what is going on, the Government
will probably also want to create a delay.

Cypherpunks should tell the public and every possible buyer
of the clipper chip, especially the Corporate buyers that
the suit exists, and if it is successful, all clipper keys
could be disclosed including the keys to Clipper devices.
All data that has been transfered via Clipper could be retroactively
exposed! This will cause Clipper to be a commercial flop.

In short, we can use FUD to kill Clipper! This is a delicious
irony because usually FUD is used by the enemies of liberty,
not buy its defenders!