I have FOIA'd the Clipper Key Escrow databases

bill.stewart@pleasantonca.ncr.com +1-510-484-6204 wcs at anchor.ho.att.com
Tue Mar 1 16:22:55 PST 1994

Eric Hughes writes:
> Should John's FOIA request for the clipper key database work, it
> creates a wonderful hole in the entire key custody system.
> It would require a legislative act to plug the hole.

Not necessarily - they may be able to claim there's a criminal
investigation in progress (one of the standard FOIA loopholes)
or they may lose the first round if there isn't one in progress
so they'd have to go start investigating somebody (for corruption
in government, or spies in the CIA, if nothing else is available :-)
Since they don't know who the spy is, or who has which phone,
everybody's key must obviously be relevant evidence...

But it's clearly a fun opportunity.

> Now, how many legislators do you know that are going to make a public
> record by voting in favor of Big Brother?

If the President supports it, why not a bunch of his fellow politicians?
		Bill