low-overhead encrypted telnet

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Mar 1 13:49:25 PST 1994

> I'll check this out, but if it's based on Kerberos it's probably
> useless for the reasons mentioned above.

Charon does not require any shared kerberos.  All it does require is
that the destination server have an rcmd srvtab, and the user have a
kerberos principal that can authenticate to that server in some form.

To use your netcom example, if netcom had their own kerberos realm,
and if they were running the Charon server, then anyone with a Charon
client and a netcom account could securely authenticate to their
netcom account, no matter where they were actually coming from.

-derek