low-overhead encrypted telnet

Jef Poskanzer jef at ee.lbl.gov
Tue Mar 1 13:27:15 PST 1994

>1) Kerberos *does* work between corporate entities.

In practice, no, it doesn't.  This is not a technical problem,
but it's nevertheless quite real.  You will never see inter-realm
Kerberos set up at places line netcom, because netcom's sysadmins
have better things to do than manage secret keys for every
organization that wants to connect.  Only a system with completely
automated configuration and operation has a chance.

>2) Using your example, a user on host A telnets to host B, and from
>host B they telnet to host C, if the A<->B link is encrypted, then so
>long as the user trusts host B, then A<->C is secure as well (assuming
>B<->C is encrypted).

Yes, of course, if the A<->B link is encrypted then subsequent logins
are secure.  The point is to find a way to secure those logins *without*
full encryption of the A<->B link.

>3) Just encrypting from client->server will not necessarily reduce the
>load on the server.

In practice, almost all of the time, it will.

>Also, doing something like DES is really not a
>very high CPU operation, IMHO.

Personally I agree with this.  Most sysadmins will not.

>4) Charon, which is based upon Kerberos, was developed exactly for
>this type of problem: you want to authenticate securely over links
>which may not otherwise be secure, but you trust the CPU in front of
>you!  The paper describing Charon is available via anonymous ftp:
>	ftp://toxicwaste.mit.edu/pub/charon/thesis.ps.Z

I'll check this out, but if it's based on Kerberos it's probably
useless for the reasons mentioned above.
---
Jef