NY Times on Bidzos and RSA

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Tue Jun 28 09:35:19 PDT 1994

>From The New York Times, June 28, 1994, pages D1, D5:

"Profit and Ego in Data Secrecy" [headline].

By John Markoff.  Special to The New York Times.

REDWOOD CITY, Calif., June 27 --

If the web of thousands of computer networks around the world
can
be thought of as an information superhighway, then Jim Bidzos
is
one of its best-placed toll takers.  Mr. Bidzos expects to
become
very rich -- unless the Government has its way.

As president of a Silicon Valley company called RSA Data
Security Inc., Mr. Bidzos,
39, controls the patents for software crucial to scrambling and
unscrambling computer
messages so they can be sent confidentially.

Just about anyone using a computer network -- whether for
sending personal
messages, filing taxes electronically, or shopping from home
with a credit card --
would want such confidentiality.

On the strength of its coding technology, RSA has sold more
than four million copies
of its software, and it has won wide support from industry
giants like Apple Computer,
I.B.M., Lotus Development, Microsoft, Motorola, Northern
Telecom, Novell and Sun
Microsystems.

Not Just for Spies Anymore [subhead]

Until recently cryptography, the science of sending secret
messages, was a province
generally populated by the armed forces, governments and their
spies.  But with the
rise of commercial computer networks, cryptography has become
an essential
ingredient in information-age services.

RSA's software is based on an innovation in cryptography that
permits people to
exchange private messages without actually getting together
beforehand and
arranging a secret password.  In the past, cryptography
required that two parties to a
communication first meet to exchange a large number that
enabled them to encode
and decode messages.

RSA's system employs two keys, one for encoding a message,
known as a public key,
and another for decoding it, called a private key.  People who
wish to receive secret
messages can freely distribute their public key, which enables
senders to encode a
message.  Only with the private key can the message be decoded.

A company selling products on-line, for instance, might make
its public key widely
available, which would enable customers to send in a coded
message containing their
credit card numbers that could not be intercepted and read by
others.  The company
could decode those messages with its private key, which has a
mathematical
relationship to the public one.

The Government fears that should the RSA system become
available abroad, it would
lose its ability to eavesdrop and wiretap in cases involving
risks to national security.  It
would much prefer that the global standard be based on its own
Clipper encryption
standard, which has a "backdooor" that law enforcement
officials can peek through.

Precisely because the RSA method has no backdoor, it is the
choice of industry.

But to some government officials, Mr. Bidzos is nothing short
of a scheming
businessman.

"The Government would like him to not exist," said Jeffrey I.
Schiller, computer
manager at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, who has
negotiated a licensing
deal with Mr. Bidzos.

And Stuart Baker, who until several weeks ago was chief counsel
of the National
Security Agency, observed, "My sense is that his motivation is
no more than trying to
convince people to buy his products."

Officials at the National Institute of Standards and
Technology, another Federal
agency, say they want to create a standard that is not beholden
to the patents of one
small company.  And the National Security Agency and the
Justice Department want a
standard that will allow law enforcement agencies to eavesdrop
on suspected
criminals or violators of national security.

Conventional Wisdom [subhead]

>From Mr. Bidzos's perspective, Washington remains bound up in a
cold war mentality,
and should simply get out of the way and let RSA Data go about
its business.  What
is more, he complains, any number of foreign companies are
developing encryption
techniques just as hard to crack as his, so the Government's
efforts to keep him from
exporting his software is useless, and perhaps
counterproductive.

Notwithstanding the official concerns, RSA has developed a
loyal following among a
wide range of computer, communications and software companies.

"They have the
strongest technology and the best reputation in the
cryptography business," said
William Ferguson, vice president of Semaphore, Inc., a maker of
data-scrambling
systems that licenses RSA's software.

Adding spice to this dispute is Mr. Bidzos's ability to
outmaneuver the Government,
most recently by snatching a crucial patent from under the
noses of officials who were
planning to use it in an official standard they are trying to
establish.

Several years ago, two top computer scientists from the
National Institute of Standards
and Technology traveled to Europe to meet with a German
mathematician, Claus
Schnorr, who holds a key patent that the Government's coding
system may violate.

When they returned to the United States, the scientists told
their superiors that the
United States should license Mr. Schnorr's patent.  But
Washington was slow to act.

So in March 1993, while Mr. Bidzos was on a trip to France, he
met with Mr. Schnorr
for a four-hour lunch.  By the end of the meal, Mr. Bidzos had
a deal to use Mr.
Schnorr's patent.

Despite Mr. Bidzos's high profile in the world of encryption,
RSA's revenue is small --
somewhere between $5 million and $10 million annually.  But
analysts say that the
company has the ability to grow substantially.

"They have huge opportunity in the Internet," said Lisa
Thorell, a researcher at
Dataquest in San Jose, Calif., referring to the global web of
computer networks that is
regarded as a working but primitive model of a global data
highway.

RSA is also playing an increasing role in the $500 million
secure-communications
business for equipment that permits safe financial trasnactions
and voice and data
communications.

A Question of Patents [subhead]

The issue clouding the future of the company is how severely it
will suffer from export
controls and competing standards backed by the National
Security Agency.  Last
month the Government made its own competing standard for
signing electronic
documents mandatory for all Federal agencies, and declared that
the digital signature
standard, as it is known, did not violate RSA's technology.

Mr. Bidzos thinks that Washington is infringing his patents,
and, eventually, the
strength of his patent claims will be tested in court.  Rather
then (sic) sue the
Government, Mr. Bidzos is likely to start with one of the small
companies, like Group
Technologies Corporation, in Tampa, that is making components
under a Government
contract, industry executives say.

Mr. Bidzos, who is a Greek citizen and a permanent resident of
the United States, was
working at a small international marketing firm in 1985 when he
decided to move from
Florida to the Silicon Valley to help a friend save a failing
business.

"I wanted to do deals and stay in luxury hotels," he said
recently at his office here.  "I
had no idea I'd be in the center of a political whirlwind."

When Mr. Bidzos joined the company in 1986, RSA was shoestring
operation about to
go into bankruptcy.  With his help, RSA struck a deal with
Lotus Development in 1987,
in which the software giant agreed to advance money for the
right to include RSA
software in Lotus Notes, a program designed for work groups of
office employees.

A year later RSA was presented with an offer to be acquired by
Rupert Murdoch in a
multimillion-dollar deal.  A Murdoch subsidiary, the News Data
Communications
Corporation, was developing technology for Mr. Murdoch's Sky
TV.  So in 1988 Mr.
Bidzos flew twice to Britain to attempt to negotiate a deal,
but the sides were far apart
on price.

He says the offers to buy RSA still roll in.  "I've received no
less than five firm, written
offers in the last two years," he said.

He also says he doesn't think that the Government can regain
the upper hand in the
cryptography wars.

"They've fired every weapon they have at us now, and we're
stronger than ever," Mr.
Bidzos said.  "All they can do is try to get RSA legislated out
of business, and that will
never happen, in my
opinion."