Cellular Telephone Experimenter's Kit (2600 article)

Phil Karn karn at qualcomm.com
Thu Jun 23 16:33:11 PDT 1994

>This CTEK sounds like a fun toy and I guess I'm glad that it can't be
>used for cellular phone fraud. That would be an illegitimate use. But,
>monitoring cell phone traffic is a crime now, right? Is there a legitimate
>use for the device? Can anyone think of one?

Several companies make cellular test sets (or optional modules for
more general purpose RF test sets) that perform functions very much
like those of the CTEK package. Since we manufacture cell phones, we
have a perfectly legitimate reason to have a few of those test sets
around here.  And I know of no special licensing requirements to buy
them (other than having $20,000 or so in cash).

Phil