Tracking Mobile Nodes

Jim Sewell jims at Central.KeyWest.MPGN.COM
Tue Jun 21 14:32:35 PDT 1994

 I've read many comments about cell phone tracking and would
 like to add my own:

   In Louisville, KY where I used to live you could find out
   where a person was by the frequency they were on.  Each
   cell site used a different frequency so you could tell at
   least the part of town a person was in.  This made listening
   to conversations frustrating because they kept shifting
   frequencies as they drove around.

   A cell phone is a glorified radio.  Any radio-smart person
   with an active conversation and a directional antenna could
   track a cell phone.  Add in a friend with another antenna
   and you could triangulate (biangulate?) to within blocks
   in a jiffy.  Add in some common sense (he's on the freeway)
   and it's easy to find someone.

   Of course, I never listened to cell phone conversations
   because THEY made it illegal to do so.  Forget the fact
   that they are radiating my body with RF radiation and I
   should have a right to hook up a speaker to it!
 	 Sheesh, the government can be so anal sometimes!

 	 Jim
--
 Tantalus Inc.          Jim Sewell      Amateur Radio: KD4CKQ
 P.O. Box 2310          Programmer           Internet: jims at mpgn.com
 Key West, FL 33045     C-Unix-PC          Compu$erve: 71061,1027
 (305)293-8100                            PGP via email on request.
 1K-bit Fingerprint: 8E 14 68 90 37 87 EF B3  C4 CF CD 9A 3E F9 4A 73