(None)

Jeff Gostin jgostin at eternal.pha.pa.us
Tue Jun 21 05:51:10 PDT 1994

"Phil G. Fraering" <pgf at srl.cacs.usl.edu> writes:

> I was on a trip out of town a while back... as soon as I crossed
> into another cellular network boundary, I got a call from the
> provider's sales droid, telling me how to use their service. They
> _are_ tracking individual phone movement, IMHO.
     Not just IMHO... They are tracking individual phone movement. I know
this for fact. What happens is this: When you are out driving, your phone
is constantly checking the local zone for strength. When the strength goes
down, or signal quality is too low, it scans for a new zone. Then it "logs
in" to the new zone while "logging out" of the old zone.

     Big cities, like LA, have ALOT of zones, none of which are all that
big. By knowing which zone one is in, one is leaving, and one is entering,
it is very easy to determine where someone is, especially if that zone
tracks along a major highway. Then, it's just a matter of time until he's
found.

                                             --Jeff
--
  ==    ==        | The new, improved, environmentally safe, bigger, better,|