L.J. Freeh and the Opposition

bill.stewart@pleasantonca.ncr.com +1-510-484-6204 wcs at anchor.ho.att.com
Mon Jun 20 01:21:39 PDT 1994

> Check out sunday's _Parade_ magazine for an article on Louis J. Freeh, the
> director of the F.B.I.  "Tough on crime", "man of the streets", and ruthless
> eliminator of directors :-)  If he ever throws his weight behind Clipper, the
> battle will get *MUCH* tougher.

Yeah.  On the other hand, his weight *is* strongly, if quietly,
behind Clipper - he's pushing the Digital Tele-phony Initiative to prevent
the phone companies from offering real crypto, so that if one of them
*does* decide to offer real non-Clipper encrypted service (e.g. cellphones),
they won't be able to.  If he were officially on the side of Clipper,
then the Clipper forces wouldn't be able to say "it's purely voluntary";
for now they can pretend to be totally separate efforts.