Anonymous Mailing list?

Robert A. Hayden hayden at vorlon.mankato.msus.edu
Sun Jun 19 13:13:12 PDT 1994

I've look a little at using something similiar to Julf's double-blind
system integrated with majordomo along with an encrypted database of
addresses.

The user would send mail to listname at sitename, and then be matched to a
pseudonym and it would be then sent out as pseudonym at sitename to the
subscribers of the list.  Any mail back to pseudonym at sitename would be
directed back to the real person and mail replied back to
listname at sitename would be delivered as a pseudonymed name as well.

The database that matches the pseudonym to the real person would be
encrypted to prevent prying eyes (although it does increase the overhead
requred to decrypt the name).  I also looked at using a system that did
not rely on human input for the keys or passphrases, using a
machine-generated randomly garbled key phrase or some such.  An
administrator could get physical access to the key, but without knowing
the phrase they have a job ahead of them.

Unfortunately, lack of programming experience and time has forced me to
push it way back on the agenda.

____        Robert A. Hayden       <=> hayden at vorlon.mankato.msus.edu
 \/  /  Finger for Geek Code Info  <=> I do not necessarily speak for the
   \/   Finger for PGP Public Key  <=> City of Mankato or Blue Earth County
(GEEK CODE 1.0.1)  GAT d- -p+(---) c++(++++) l++ u++ e+/* m++(*)@ s-/++