Prime magnitude and keys...a ?

Jim choate ravage at bga.com
Fri Jun 17 08:37:31 PDT 1994

> What do you mean by "greater or lesser than the actual key"? If you mean
> number of bits you can do a simply file size comparison, if you mean
> binary numerical value a simple c program _should_ be able to handle that
> without any trouble I think.... although maybe you would need to include
> some of those 'big number' routines I keep hearing about... and you would
> have to strip off any header info before computing.
>
> Happy Hunting, -Chris.

What I am looking at is a way to do binary searches in the key space w/ a
function that would look at a test key and the result of running RSA on
it and then tell me the relative magnitude between the real key and the
test key.

What this means is that I could take a cypher-text and attempt a de-crypt
w/ some conveniently large number and then go up or down from there
till I find it. The advantage of this approach is that it allows one to
search the key-space w/o having to test each and every possibility. This
would significantly(!) reduce the time to crack...