Time Locks-- Re: Delayed self-encrypting messages

Peter Wayner pcw at access.digex.net
Fri Jun 10 14:00:06 PDT 1994

This is a good method, but let's say that you die in between? What happens?
I wrote a paper on Crypto Time Locks that is a fair to okay solution. It was
a loose extension on a scheme from Crypto 92 for reducing Junk Mail.

Here's a summary:

What you want is an encryption function f and its inverse f' such that
computing f' takes some factor of n times longer than f.
So if you want to lock things up for 128 days and you're willing to
put in 1 day of computation time, then you look for a pair of f and f'
such that n=128.

One example of such a pair is DES with 48 bits of the key fixed. The locker
chooses the extra 8 bits at random. The unlocker tries all 256 combinations
until the correct answer is found.

Actually, you want to don't want to use DES, you want to use a variant
that I'll call k-DES for lack of a better name at this time. k-DES is
DES with more than 16 rounds. It is DES with enough rounds to make it
run for k units of time on the fastest, commonly available RISC chip.
Note that this is an inherently serial computation.

A better approach would probably be to use some sort of triple DES variation
with more fixed bits to prevent birthday attacks.

This simple version is succeptable to attacks by parallel machines. There
are better versions that I don't have time to describe at this moment.

You can also construct pairs of f and f' using public key functions. When
you need to choose one of the two keys, set one to be 3 or 5 or some small
number. That means that exponentiation for locking (encryption) will only
take log(3) steps. But decryption could take log(X) steps where X is the
other key. Note that the "strength" of RSA is not being used in this case.
Everyone knows both keys. But decrypting with one is still a factor of
n times longer.

Copies of the extended paper are available to anyone curious.

-Peter Wayner