penet hack

Jacob Levy Jacob.Levy at Eng.Sun.COM
Sun Jul 31 09:22:59 PDT 1994

>I have never sent any messages using the remailer.  So whoever
>is fiddling with the remailer is still doing it.  Is it a coincidence
>that I posted to this list for the first time a few days ago?

No cause for alarm.

The way this works is that the cypherpunks list has members that are
subscribed through anon.penet.fi. If the mailing list sends the message as
you (as opposed to sending it as cypherpunks at toad.com) then it will send a
message from you to the anonymous subscriber. Because of the double-blind
feature of anon.penet.fi this will cause allocation of an ID. Hence if you
send email to this list you're likely to get an ID assigned and receive the
message from anon.penet.fi

--JYL