FW: No SKE in Daytona and other goodies

Blanc Weber blancw at microsoft.com
Fri Jul 29 12:56:11 PDT 1994

From: Timothy C. May

I don't proprose to "prevent" any company from exploring key escrow. I
just don't see why law enforcement, intelligence agencies, etc. have
anything to do with this, and I am very worried by the arguments I
hear about "legitimate needs of law enforcement" and "export laws."

So what about this statement you made earlier:

>Putting Microsoft's feet to the fire, getting them to commit to *not*
>including any form of software-based key escrow in any future releases
>of Windows (Chicago or Daytona) could be a concrete step in the right
>direction. Ditto for Apple.
>
>I'm sure we can think of other steps to help derail widespread
>deployment of this infrastructure.

I have the same concerns, I just don't see how it would be possible to
cause a company to "commit" itself to not doing this, i.e. preventing
the company from including SKE in its products.

Blanc.