(fwd) Re: BATF raid in North Carolina

Jim choate ravage at bga.com
Thu Jul 28 13:36:52 PDT 1994

Newsgroups: rec.models.rockets
From: ralphpepper at lesueloc.com
Subject: Re: BATF raid in North Carolina
Sender: news at nntpxfer.psi.com

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 1994 05:49:26 GMT

Re:
> Rebecca Rohan <rrohan at eskimo.com> writes:
>
> >Yo, those of you in rec.models.rockets who are whining about the
> >crosspost --- you are one action/adventure movie away from the same
> >treatment or worse.
>
> Rebecca,
>
>      I, for one, appreciate the information you're providing. Too many
average
> citizens have no idea what's going on with federal agencies. Unconstitutional
> power grabs are getting bigger and more frequent all the time. If it isn't
> stopped soon, we will be stopped dead in our
> tracks as a free nation.
>
> COUNTDOWN HOBBIES
> 3 P.T. Barnum Square
> Bethel, CT 06801-1838
> 203-790-9010
> Kevin Nolan
> NAR 16148; TRA 0943
> CTRA/NARCONN

   I currently don't have any HPR motors, reloads or any such thing. I left
them behind when I moved to Georgia (not knowing the legal climate down here).
So I feel (relatively) safe putting forth my two cents worth as to what I would
do.
     First, I would be rigidly legal in every respect. In fact, after hearing
about them worrying about casing residue I would make sure I didn't even have
so much as a spent D12-0 casing. Anything I needed would be bought enroute to
any launch meet, or at the meet itself.
     Second, I would endeavor to be as 'safe' and 'peaceful' as possible. There
would be no 'terminator 2' talk out of me.
     Third, if I did get attacked, everything would be 'yessir' and 'nossir'.
     Then, I would quietly go down to the federal courthouse and file a RICO
Act lawsuit.
     RICO Act stands for Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act.
This is what is commonly referred to as being charged with 'racketeering'. RICO
allows individuals (as well as governments) to file against persons or
organizations that commit three major offenses against one person or a major
offense against three or more persons.
     One unique feature that makes it exceedingly lucrative for lawyers to take
on contingency is that the awarded amount is TRIPLE the sum of all court costs,
 out-of-pocket costs, compensatory, and punitive damages.
     Certain agencies may be immune but not all of them. Also, you could argue
that immunity only applies to their lawfully empowered duties and when they
exceed that authority, that they are acting outside of government protection
and become private citizens commiting acts against other private citizens.
     There was a church in California in 1979 that began moving to do something
like that against the state Attorney General (Dukemajian at the time). The
state was trying to take over all of that church's operations (under a law
protecting charitable trusts - like United Way) Ex-Parte on the claim from six
ex-members that money was being absconded with. California tried to impose
their own people into that church's ruling hierarchy & even declared in open
court that all churches in California thereafter belonged to the state. The
threatened suit plus the outrageously gross misapplication of the law spooked
the California legislature into repealing that law completely over the violent
protestations of Attorney General Dukemajian. I believe there was a book about
this called "Against the Gates of Hell" or something by somebody named Rader.