Voice/Fax Checks

Duncan Frissell frissell at panix.com
Thu Jul 28 06:03:13 PDT 1994

At 04:43 AM 7/25/94 -0500, Jim Hart wrote:

>Isn't this kind of like writing them a blank check?  If I tell
>them to make the check out for $20 and they make it out for
>$100, how do I repudiate that?  Not only that, how do I prevent
>them from writing and cashing more checks by increasing the
>sequence number?

Nothing.  Just like I can obtain your check info (by getting you to write me
a check) and forging a physical check using DTP technology (Forbes cover
story of several years ago).  You can disavow the check though and demand a
credit from your bank.

If you don't complain, the transfer stands.  If you do, you get your money
back.

I don't think they ever passed the Uniform Commercial Code proposal that
would have made checks just like electronic payments where you are liable
for $50 if you don't make a timely report of the problem.  Traditionally,
you *never* had to challange a check and you could get all of your money
back if the bank paid a check on a "forged drawer's signature."

DCF