Government-Controlled Trust Hierarchies

Perry E. Metzger perry at imsi.com
Wed Jul 27 19:02:07 PDT 1994

Timothy C. May says:
> The Microsoft thing may be going down a similar track. The Microsoft
> paralegal who confirmed to me yesterday (via Blanc Weber, who can
> attest to what I'm saying) that MS is indeed pursuing SKE claimed
> that this is primarily to meet export laws and will not apply, he
> claims, to U.S. users.

By the way, just so everyone knows, I understand (based on a
conversation with Steve Kent, who should be a reliable source for
this) that Microsoft is one of the suppliers to the upcoming DMS, or
defense messaging system. The DMS will be using Tessera -- it means
that Microsoft and several other firms are going to be the largest
purveyors of escrowed software in the world.

Perry