Stalling the crypto legislation for 2-3 more years

Timothy C. May tcmay at netcom.com
Sat Jul 23 11:42:58 PDT 1994

Brad Huntting wrote:

> The right to free speech is protected by the US constitution.  We
> need only show that encryption software == speech.
>
> This shouldn't be to difficult (a bit painful perhaps, but not
> difficult).
>
> The act should involve a published work (preferably in the printed
> sense).  It should be clear of any gross patent infringements as
> they might cloud the issue.
>
> Since the hardware will be confiscated it should probably be a
> cheap PC.  Also, it should probably be in a house with no other
> computer equipment.  That way when it's confiscated, they wont take
> anything besides the ftp server.

I _like_ this idea! Explicitly calling the site a "Free Speech" or
"First Amendment" site, and publishing all sorts of things could help.

I think we ought to think this out some more.

Publishing encrypted stuff, etc.

Of course, lots of sites already publish encrypted stuff, have
PGP-encrypted files on them, etc., and the Feds have not moved to shut
them down, so it may be real hard generating a test case.

But I do like the explicit emphasis of the connection between
encyption and free speech; this is the line I use with people. To wit,
"Nobody can tell me what language I have to write or speak in."

--Tim May

tcmay at netcom.com       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero